What's all this about fairness?

I'm not really sure what I'm doing with blogging, as I often don't have the time or health or readers to encourage me to pursue it. I see all my friends writing these lovely, thought-provoking blogs, and I want to do the same. However, I also don't like the idea of putting it all out there on the Internets for everyone to read.

What I'm going to pursue for this blog will be a collection of thought-provoking, not-necessarily-musicological-or-academic writing. I'll challenge myself to write one post a week. We'll see what happens.

In other news, academically, I've been active. I'll be posting the anonymous results of my Scholars with Disabilities survey soon. TBA.

OK, what I meant by this post was to go on about fairness in academia and this concept's relation to disability studies. Then, I was distracted and too busy. This theme of "fairness" is something that I came across over and over again when working on my study. For example, "It's not fair to give a disabled person more time, because everyone else has to complete assignments within another shorter period of time." This is an especially frustrating remark, because it makes no sense that someone who has to struggle just to type sentences on the computer should be denied the ability to take longer to complete assignments. Similarly, it seems more unfair that someone with demonstrated creativity and dedication should be told they cannot have accommodations because it "isn't fair" to other people in the program.

Comments

Hucbald said…
As the Nike add says, Just Do It. Readers will find you, and a weblog is a therapeutic outlet.

Cheers,

George

Popular Posts