Homeschoolers making news

I have the distinct feeling that no one reads this, but just in case they do, I thought I would post a bit about a new famous homeschooler.

Christopher Paolini was homeschooled his entire life, graduated with a high school diploma at the age of fifteen, and then went on to write the book Eragon, which is now a major motion picture and was also a New York Times Bestseller. I am always very pleased to read about new, intelligent, successful homeschoolers, and especially about creative ones. I am currently reading Eragon, and so far I like it very much. It's not the best book ever written, but can certainly carve out a successful niche in the fantasy genre and is an enjoyable read for a Christmas vacation. I'd say the book is just as good as Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and possibly as good as Terry Brooks's Sword of Shanara (sp?) series.

It is interesting to me how many homeschoolers and geeky people and usually those of high intelligence enjoy fantasy novels. In reading about Christopher Paolini, I discovered that his favourite books growing up where mostly fantasy, including the Dune and His Darkest Materials books. I've always been drawn to fantasy and science fiction, but especially fantasy and worlds of elves and faeries and mythology and magic and wonder. I still harbour a special fascination for faeries and mermaids and Star Trek: TNG is my favourite TV series.

I will update more when I've read more of Eragon, or better yet, have finished it. I will also continue to discuss the lives of notable and successful homeschoolers. :D

Comments

Popular Posts